Mission & By-laws
The Virginia Tech Academic Advising Network is a forum for sharing ideas and exchanging information related to academic advising and student success strategies at the Virginia Polytechnic and State University (Virginia Tech). A primary goal is to provide members with opportunities for professional development and peer support, ultimately building a strong community and network of resources to enhance student success through campus partnerships across and throughout the university community.
- To promote a greater understanding of the role of advising in student learning.
- To strengthen University-wide recognition of the significance of academic advising in the recruitment, retention, and academic achievement of Virginia Tech students.
- To develop and promote multicultural awareness and competencies for advisors and other student support professionals.
- To provide a network of advisors and other student support professionals that fosters a collaborative environment to ensure student achievement.
- increase advising effectiveness by strengthening communication on academic advising issues within the academic community and among advisors.
- To develop relationships with external academic professionals.
- To advocate for high quality academic advising services for students.
- To aid in the implementation of an advising assessment process to ensure continuous improvement.
- To act as a forum for discussion, debate, and the exchange of ideas regarding academic advising with other areas and activities of higher education.
- To represent and advocate for academic advising and the academic advisors of Virginia Tech.